Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Vacation - Part 2


Mom says there's only one more post to go before I can resume blogging about the important stuff. ;) Plus, the next post will have cute babies and more dogs. Anyway, this is a little hike they went on while in WV. They hiked down the hillside to an old abandoned mine. Mom said it was very steep but there were stairs for most of it. She said this didn't really help and she says they shouldn't have worn jeans but they didn't know quite how steep and grueling it would be. I could have done it no problem! Mom even found a cool fossil that she was overly excited about. Can you see the coal seam in the rocks up there?


So, here's where they hiked.

This was looking up through the hole in top of one of the old coke ovens....I guess they burned the coal in there to produce the coke for fuel.


Just more pics....they visited a Civil War battlefield, went 4-wheelin' (something my Dad had never done and probably won't ever do much of), played horseshoes, and stashed some of the canned goods in their luggage. Mom's grandma is apparently a canning machine.

She also makes this super healthy *wink* version of biscuits and gravy with a side of fried bologna! BOL....not healthy at all but mighty tasty according to Mom. Mom only has it about once a year when she visits so she figures that's not too unhealthy for her.

And of course, the dog pictures that Mom agreed to include. Here is Ivory trying to get Mom's camera....hmmm, maybe Mom was taking too many pictures! ;) Go Ivory, you can do it!


And these are of Ivory playing with the little neighbor dog. They look like they are grrrreat buds!

14 comments:

Selba said...

Nice pictures!

Oh.. and we love the pic where you play with the little neighbor dog :)

Licks,
Adele, Vincent & Bella

Honey the Great Dane said...

Oh wow, Nala - more beautiful pictures! I can't wait for the 3rd installment...although I have to say, that hike looked awfully hard! I would have had to have several naps to even THINK about doing it!!!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm soooooo ready to pull my mom down and up that trail!

Tank woo fur sharing but next time do woo think we khan share some of the yummy looking food?

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: So, did the khountry roads take them home?

Suzuki said...

That would be a pawsome walk!
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Clover said...

Hi Nala!
Thanks for sharing your parents' vacation pics. They are beautiful! Your mom is lucky that she grew up there!
Too bad you didn't get to go along :(
Love your twin, Clover xo

The Army of Four said...

I like the heart-shaped sticks!
I didn't know they made Coke in ovens. But then I've only had Diet Coke when Mom accidentally spilled some... ha roo roo roo!
Mom said, "MMM! Fried bologna!" She used to have that sometimes when she was a biped puppy!
Love,
Amber

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

ROFL, we read that too quickly and thought you said that was a CAKE oven. We wondered what kind of cake would need an oven THAT big!!!

Nice pics.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Ruby and Penny said...

Hi Nala
Too bad you didn't go with your mom. We know you like hiking.
All the pictures are great especially the fried bologna. Yum!!
Love Ruby & Penny

Anonymous said...

You're lucky you have such good puparazzi! Those pictures can make you feel like you were there! MMMmmm did they bring you back any fried bologna?? BOL

Licks,
Kylie

Molly the Airedale said...

OMG, mom says she remembers having fried bologna with her brothers and lathering it with yellow mustard! yummmmmmmmmmmmm
She says thank you for the memories!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Gennasus said...

What a shame you couldn't have gone Nala because it all looks so wonderful!

That was some hike down to the mine! But it looked like it was worth it. And that's a very impressive bridge over the gorge....got my vertigo going though!

Thanks for letting me see somewhere new.

Lina, Alih and James said...

Yeahy, I love all the vacation pics... I wanna go on vacation too, now! haha... Jay says: "I'm coming"... :)

Stinkin' kisses...

dreameyce said...

West Virginia I would bet is the 2nd most beautiful state to Oregon. I love visiting WV!

Awesome pics :)

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

Wow, that does look like a strenuous hike! I think I'd like to eat some fried bologna. I wonder if I can visit your mom's grandma for some?

Steve